I am definitely a chilli man. I like it hot. For me chilli makes most things better. With that in mind having a quick easy chilli jam is right up my alley. This is a tomato chilli jam recipe so it has some tomato flavour too. This recipe makes a small glass jar worth. When your travelling and need something quick and easy, having flavour in the fridge can go a long way. I present to you my tomato chilli jam.
This photo was after approximately 2 table spoons had been removed. It would have gone close to filling the jar.
All you need to make this delicious tomato chilli jam recipe is in the photo above (and sugar), and of course the ingredient list below.
Tomato Chilli Jam Recipe
Makes a small glass jar worth. Perfect as a condiment for 2 people for the week.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tbsp dried chilli flakes (10 small dried chilli sliced up)
- 2 tomatoes diced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Over Medium-Low heat add sugar and water to the pot. Stirring until all the sugar is dissolved.
- Add the Cider vinegar, chilli and the tomato’s. Bring to a simmer for 20-25 minutes. Stir every couple of minutes.
- Keep in mind it thickens up when it cools so take it off the heat just before it is the consistency you desire.
- Taste, make sure the taster is cool enough. Season to taste, not much required.
- Cool first then use immediately or jar and keep in the fridge. I keep in the fridge for a week but generally run out first!
I like it to be more of a thick jam than a ‘sauce’ but if you take it off sooner it can be a good dipping sauce for something fried, like a spring roll. As a jam I love it on sandwiches and with meats. One of my favourite ways to have this Tomato Chilli Jam is with scrambled eggs in the morning. Put a heaped teaspoon on a plate, into the microwave for 10-15 seconds and with some tasty eggs. Yes. Even into a stir-fry to add that flavour and sweetness.