During my time in Croatia there was one side dish that was on almost every menu and the ingredients at every market, and that was blitva and potato. This blitva and potato recipe is simple yet very traditional and is delicious Croatian food.
This is a typical Croatian dish that was a typical lunch I had in Split, along with some roast chicken.
The fresh markets in Split had no shortage of blitva and potato as well as plenty more great produce. I did have a go to seller, who always seemed to have some great produce and was a nice and friendly man. This type of food is quite quick and easy to prepare and cook and also uses cheap, readily available ingredients.
Blitva and Potato Recipe
- 5 Medium Potatoes
- 1/2 Bunch of Blitva (Also can use Swiss Chard or other leafy greens)
- 1 Bunch of Parsley
- 4 Cloves of Garlic
- Olive oil
- Salt and Pepper
- Peel and Chop Potatoes
- Wash and Chop Blitva
- Wash and Chop Parsley
- Slice and Chop Garlic
- Boil Potatoes
- Drain Potatoes
- Heat pan with Olive Oil and Garlic
- Add drained potatoes and fry for a few minutes
- Add Blitva and a dash more olive oil, and put on the lid
- After a couple of minutes add the parsley and mix
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Serve by itself or how you desire. I chose chicken.
As you can see this is simple cooking but definitely a Croatian inspired blitva and potato recipe.
If you are in Split, or anywhere in Croatia, and after a great holiday and travel cook idea then give this blitva and potato recipe a try. Still good cold or the next day with the remaining chicken, if any 😉