A great bacon and egg roll is always a good idea. This is my simple approach which I had heaps of growing up. Bacon, Egg, Onions and Sauce. You will find a version of a B+E roll in almost every Australian cafe and sports ground on a Saturday and Sunday morning. Try this with my tomato chilli jam too to spice things up!
This is best done on a barbecue, it adds an extra element. A barbecue is almost an ingredient in its own right to a great bacon and egg roll.
Bacon and Egg Roll Recipe
- 4 eggs
- 8 rashes of bacon
- 4 buns, halved (I liked this version with a light brioche, but a brioche/milk bun or any roll will do)
- 1 red onion, finely sliced
- 1 brown onion, finely sliced
- 1 tbsp sugar
- Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
- Butter, to butter the buns
- Your Favourite sauce, I like my chilli jam or Barbecue sauce
- Pre-heat the barbecue
- Add your onion to a pan on a medium heat. A couple of minutes before your onions are ready, add the sugar.
- Take off the heat just as they are caramelised, but not burnt.
- Add the bacon to the hot plate side of barbecue, cook the bacon to your liking
- Add the bun halves to the barbecue grill, to toast and get the grill lines.
- Keep and eye on the buns, not to burn them. Easy to burn them 😉
- Get your eggs cooking. Cook to your liking. I like my yolks runny and wipe the drips up with my bun, but for a less messy experience cook the yolks a bit firmer. Over easy eggs on the BBQ are beautiful too.
- Build your roll. Add your onion, egg, and bacon.
- Add your sauce.
- Add some chives if you have them.
- Close and pick it up. Look at it for a moment. Take that first bite of your delicious bacon and egg roll.
This is in my eyes an Australian meal. We cannot claim bacon and egg rolls as only ours, but it definitely screams Aussie to me. If your are reading this, not sure what to have for breakfast, brunch, lunch or dinner, well you now might. Bacon and egg roll. Easy and satisfying.
How do you have your bacon and egg roll?